Do you want to improve your social media performance? Our guide to the leading apps for social media management and content creation will help you find the best tools for your business.
Social media is a great way to promote your small business, connect with customers and build your brand. But creating high-quality content and posting it day-in-day-out takes a lot of time and the results can be hit and miss.
The right social media software can save you time and improve your results.
Best for start-ups and small businesses
Zoho Social | from £8 a month | Schedule unlimited posts from one dashboard
Best all-rounder for social media management
HootSuite | from £89 a month | Social media scheduling, tracking and analytics
Best for content design
Canva | Free & paid versions | Content editing tools and 250,000+ templates
Best for tracking and analytics
Iconosquare | from $49 per month | Monitor your brand and your competitors
Best for stock images
Shutterstock | Subscriptions start at £19 a month | More than 400 million images
Why use social media apps?
Social media management tools bring all your profiles into one place, allowing you to schedule posts and monitor engagement from a single dashboard. And with the right content creation tools, your posts will get more traction too.
Many of the most widely-used apps are available on a subscription basis but there are plenty of free versions and free trials that will allow you to try out these tools to discover which ones are best for your business.
Here's our guide to some of the best social media management and content creation apps. Click on the links below to find out more about each of the apps.
- Meta Business Suite
- Sprout Social
- Meta Ads Manager
- Zoho Social
Social media management tools
Manage all of your Facebook and Instagram activity in one place.
- Publish, schedule and manage all your content on Facebook and Instagram.
- Track insights, trends and your performance to optimise your content.
- Available on desktop and mobile.
- Meta Business Suite is free.
Find out more about Meta Business suite.
Twitter’s own desktop and mobile app for managing tweets offers real-time tracking, organising and engagement from a single dashboard.
- Post tweets and share photos, videos and links.
- Schedule tweets in advance and monitor conversations.
- Create multiple accounts in one application.
- TweetDeck is free.
Find out more about TweetDeck.
Create and schedule posts and monitor all your social media accounts from a single dashboard.
- Create posts, schedule and publish content to all of your social profiles.
- Track social media effectiveness in real time
- See all your scheduled and published content in one place.
- Monitor trends and stay notified about your business, customers, competitors and key topics.
- The Professional version is aimed at one user with up to 10 social media accounts and costs £89 a month;
- The Team version is aimed at three users with up to 20 social media accounts and costs £249 a month;
- The Business version is aimed at five users with up to 35 social media accounts and costs £660 a month.
Find out more about Hootsuite.
A social media management tool that allows you to plan, create, manage and deliver social content.
- Manage all your social media activity and engagement from a unified social inbox.
- Plan posts up to 13 months in advance with a social content calendar.
- Monitor specific keywords and hashtags.
- IoS and Android mobile apps.
- The Standard version for five social profiles costs $249 per month (additional users cost $199).
- The Professional version costs $399 per month (additional users cost $299) with unlimited social profiles.
Find out more about Sprout Social.
Create and schedule Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Pinterest posts in one place.
- Plan, collaborate and publish content.
- Analyse social media performance and create reports.
- Navigate comments and engage with followers.
- Build customised landing pages.
- Use AI Assistant to generate ideas and write better posts.
- The Free version works with up to three social media channels.
- The Essentials version costs $6 a month per channel.
- The Team version is for unlimited users and costs $12 per channel.
Find out more about Buffer.
Formerly Facebook Ads Manager, this app allows you to create and manage ads for Facebook and Instagram.
- Create and manage social media ads on Facebook and Instagram.
- Manage multiple ads at once.
- Get real-time data from your ad campaigns.
- Available for desktop, IoS and Android.
- Meta Ads Manager is free to download.
Find out more about Meta Ads Manager.
A social media management platform, scheduler and link in bio tool for every social network.
- Create, edit and preview content.
- Plan, analyse and publish content in advance.
- Send followers to your website and shop.
- Moderate and reply to comments using the Conversations tool.
- Schedule Instagram Reels to auto-publish.
- The Starter version is aimed at a single user with a single social set (one each of Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Facebook and TikTok) for £18 a month.
- The Growth version is for up to three users with three social sets and costs £40 a month.
- The Advanced version is for up to six users with six social sets and costs £80 a month.
- 14-day free trials are available for all versions.
Find out more about Later.
A collaboration tool for social media teams that makes it easier to create, manage and publish social media content.
- Post to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, Google My Business, and TikTok.
- Invite team members to collaborate and give them different permissions.
- Tweak content for different platforms in one place.
- A Free version allows you to try Planable and publish up to 50 posts.
- The Basic version costs $11 per user per month (based on annual billing) with unlimited posts on four social media pages per workspace.
- The Teams version costs $22 per user on ten social media pages per workspace.
Find out more about Planable.
Connect all your social media accounts, schedule posts from a single dashboard and monitor your brand and your competitors.
- Schedule all your social media posts from one dashboard.
- Analytics and reporting tools to improve social media performance.
- Identify and respond to unread comments and mentions.
- Listen to your audience, track your competitors and monitor your own brand.
- Works with Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and LinkedIn.
- The Pro version is aimed at smaller businesses and costs €49 a month for two team members with up to three social profiles.
- The Advanced version costs €79 a month for unlimited team members with up to five social profiles.
- A 14-day free trial is available with both versions.
Find out more about Iconosquare.
Social media management software that offers scheduling, monitoring and analysis.
- Schedule unlimited social posts from a single dashboard.
- Works with Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, TikTok and Google Business Profile listings.
- Monitor core keywords and brand hashtags to find out what people are saying about your business.
- Get audience insights and analysis of your social media activity.
- The Standard version costs £8 a month for a single user with one brand and up to nine social media channels.
- The Professional version costs £22 a month for a single user on up to nine channels and offers additional features including notifications, bulk scheduling and post insights.
- The Premium version costs £35 a month for a team of up to three user and offers additional CRM and collaboration features.
Find out more about Zoho Social.
Content creation tools
A graphic design tool offering a library of templates and images for creating content for social media, websites, presentations and print.
- Access to a large library of images, graphics and videos.
- Templates and designs for all types of marketing including social media.
- Editing and design tools for customisation.
- The free version offers 250,000+ templates and over a million images as well as design and editing tools.
- Canva Pro offers 100+ million images, videos and graphics, premium design features and scheduling of social media posts to eight platforms. It costs £99.99 per year for one user.
- The Teams version has all the features of Pro for up to five people for £129.90 a year.
Find out more about Canva.
Over allows you to create branded content and stories for your social media accounts using professional templates.
- Professional templates and layouts for customisation.
- Add your own logo and brand colours.
- Choose from a library of photos, videos, graphics and fonts.
- Works on IoS, Android and web but does not yet sync between devices.
- Basic version is free.
- Pro version offers unlimited templates, photos and graphics for $69 per year.
- Pro also offers a week’s free trial.
Find out more about Over.
Shutterstock provides access to millions of images and videos to create marketing content and social media posts.
- Access to a library of more than 400 million images.
- Access to videos and music clips.
- Easy to use design tools.
- A pack of five image downloads in one year costs £29.
- A subscription allowing up to ten credits a month costs £19 a month.
- A team version for up to ten users and 750 downloads a month costs £369.
- Packages for video, music and editorial images are also available.
Find out more about Shutterstock.
Grammarly helps you to improve your writing - including social media posts.
- Corrects all kinds of writing including texts, emails and social media posts as you write them.
- Fixes grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes.
- Works with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Compatible with IoS and Android as well as desktops.
- Free version offers basic writing suggestions and tone detection.
- Pro version offers additional clarity, vocabulary and tone improvements from £10 a month.
Find out more about Grammarly.