A good standard of communication combined with the psychology of customer service suggests seven good approaches to dealing with customers:
- Being solution focused rather than problem orientated.
- Listening to understand, rather than making assumptions or being indifferent to the customer.
- Being gracious and empathetic rather than being unconcerned or dismissive.
- Ensuring clear communication at all times pitched to the customer - neither 'over their heads' nor talking down to them.
- Being assertive, not passive or aggressive.
- Being non-defensive and treating customer feedback as valuable information.
- Being influential and persuasive when negotiating or discussion options for a solution.
For more information on how to deal with customers, see the Resources box on the right.